Monday, June 11, 2012

Sweet & SPICY Chicken with Broccoli & Rice

Sweet & Spicy Chicken

*You can find the original recipe here on My Recipes


Ingredients: 
(*I tripled the original recipe and made extra sauce for the rice & veggies)
  • 6 boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger 

  • BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • I am SERIOUSLY LOSING IT HERE!!!!  
  • OMG.  I just read the recipe on the computer screen and it says, "1/2 teaspoon of honey"
  • When we printed this off, the / didn't show up so we thought it said TWELVE teaspoons of honey!!!  We adjusted it a little bit, but still, that is hilarious.
  • Lol.  Wow.  Well, the recipe DID turn out yummy and seriously didn't taste all that sweet to me... so, onward...

  • 1/2 cup of honey or agave nectar
  • 1/4 cup stevia or xylitol (although if you want less sweet, leave this out!)
  • 6 Scallions/green onions, finely chopped
  • 6 Tbsp cilnatro, finely chopped.
  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 1-2 bags of frozen broccoli
This is where I veer off even more from the recipe.  I was in the process of reading the recipe, and I have a BAD habit of getting distracted.  So I read, "Put the chicken on the stove and sautee..." I thought it was strange that it wasn't to be cooked in the sauce, but I wanted to follow the recipe, so I put the chicken on the stove, then noticed that it was time to pick up my girls from their friend's house.  I turned to my husband, who was right there, washing dishes anyway, and said, "Honey, can you watch this and make sure it doesn't burn?"

And out the door I went.

Thirty minutes later, I come home to find my husband turning off the stove.  "Well,  I imagine the chicken is done now.  How odd that the sauce isn't meant as a marinade or something, though"

So I get the recipe and read the rest of the sentence "Sautee for 2-3 minutes on each side... then add the...

Oops.

So we got busy making the sauce:
Paris helping me chop up the green onions


Using a pizza cutter for herbs works SO much faster than trying to use a knife!

I cut the now super tender chicken into small cubes and poured the sauce over.  YUM.

This was a disaster.  My son would come in the house and eat it all in one sitting.  

So, we made another double batch of the sauce and I made some brown rice to mix it in with.  


This stuff definitely has some kick to it!  It almost reminded me of a Thai food dish that I used to get at Pei Wei, but I can't remember what it was called.  I think its like a blend of sweet and sour and their spicy chicken.  I think it would be fabulous with those little white button mushrooms and some pea pods.   If I could figure out tofu, this would be a fantastic vegetarian dish!  I think I'll add this recipe to my once a month cooking list.  It would freeze & crockpot well, I think!

Viola!  My husband's lunches packed for a few days and my sons container to eat at home.  Now to make something vegetarian for my non meat eaters!

Verdict:  This recipe is GOLDEN.  I will definitely add it to our OAMC, because the sauce was a little tedious to make, so I'd rather make a BUNCH at once and freeze it, rather than have to get all that stuff out each time.  Besides, we never use a full bunch of cilantro, and I hate to see it go to waste!

What are your favorite go to dishes for freezing?  I'm going to try doing at least our dinners in freezer meals so I can just have one big cooking/cleaning day a month and save a LOT of work other wise.  Do any of you do this?