Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Clean Eating #30: Dessert, Apple Cinnamon Crescent Rolls with Yogurt Orange frosting

Apple Cinnamon Crescent Rolls
w/ Yogurt Orange frosting
Holy COW, you guys.  I'm not lying... this is DECADENT!!! And clean, although it is a treat, which means you can't eat the whole pan.  However, they are SO good, I advise you to only bake enough for one serving at a time.  So easy!!!

Crescent Rolls:
1-2 pounds of whole wheat dough from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day or your own favorite whole grain bread recipe.
1 apple, shredded or sliced into thin strips (I used my hand grater and sliced them thin)
Cinnamon to taste
Ideal Brown Sugar Substitute to taste

  • Gently roll out the dough, as quickly as possible, the point being to not break all of your air bubbles.
  • Cut into long triangular shapes.
  • Top with Sliced/grated apples, cinnamon and a little sprinkle of brown sugar substitute
  • Roll up, beginning with the wide end, pinching the tip slightly into the roll so it stays
  • Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon
  • Let rise for about an hour on a lightly floured surface, or until dough is puffed and room temperature
  • Using a spatula, place gently on preheated pizza stone
  • Bake at 350 for about 8-12 minutes, depending on the size of your rolls.  They're done when slightly browned.
Put on cooling rack until warm, top with a dollop of 'frosting' and a sprinkly of cinnamon... and enjoy!

Frosting:
3/4 cup of yogurt cheese *See below for tips*
8 Tbsp of Ideal Powdered Sugar Substitute
1/2 tsp Orange Extract (you can use whatever flavor, we love orange:)


*Making Yogurt Cheese
Take Plain, non fat yogurt and drain.  I used a lightweight dishcloth and used rubber bands to make a seive over a tall plastic storage 'cup'.  You could use cheese cloth and a sieve, but this worked well enough for me.  Let the liquid drain, then twisting the top of the fabric, I used my hands to squeeze out the last of the liquid until the yogurt was pretty firm... about the consistency of whipped cream cheese. 



I used a rubber spatula to scrape the "cheese" into a ball and put it in a fresh container.

What I'd Do Differently Next time:
Ummm... not make as many?  Honestly, I'm sure that the very next time I make these that I'll experiment with blue berries.  These are so much like cinnamon rolls and I love putting bluberries and almonds in my cinnamon rolls!  I would like to experiment with different flavors of "frosting" as well.  What are your ideas?  I love crunch and different, unexpected textures in my treats...
Yogurt "Cheese" I must admit that I didn't expect to like the yogurt cheese.  Although I don't mind a little yogurt flavor in my protein shakes, I am really not a huge fan of yogurt.  This yogurt "cheese" is meant to take the place of cream cheese, and I must say, I really REALLY liked the end result.  The kids used it as sort of a dip for their rolls and they loved these rolls.  I think it would be a great Saturday morning breakfest treat with a healthy egg white omelette for some protein to offset the sweetness.