Sunday, February 6, 2011

Clean Eating #43: Bruschetta & Whole Wheat Bread Sticks Party Perfect Appetizer

Bruschetta & Whole Wheat Bread Sticks
Well, I made what I thought was Bruschetta, but I'm not sure it was.





Yesterday whilst cooking up a big batch of Homemade Marinara Sauce for our Pizza Pasta, Spaghetti Casserole,  pizza sauce, etc, I was looking at a whole huge skillet full of peppers and onions and thought, 

"Oooooh!  I should make a small pan of that Bruscheetta stuff to go with our fresh homemade bread for dinner!"

So, I threw some garlic in the oven for a quick roast... and separated some of the half cooked peppers out of my large skillet into a smaller one.


Ingredients 
(Vary amounts according to your tastes, this is what I used):
4 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1/2 each red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers
1/2 LARGE white onion
a few diced white mushrooms
1/2 cup EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
2 heads of Roasted Garlic *See here for instructions



Directions:
Sautee all chopped veggies in about 1 tsp of the EVOO (or coconut oil)
When they are soft, turn the heat down to med-low and simmer.
Remove roasted garlic  from skins, chop a bit
Add chopped garlic & the remaining oil to your pan.
Season as desired.
Serve in small bowls with homemade breadsticks.

This was a wonderful appetizer for everyone.  Even the picky bean liked it.  It makes a nice compliment to the bread sticks (We just baked extra skinny "loaves" of bread).  and made for a very nice "Italian" flavored taste.  We probably won't have this often, as it is pretty highly caloric, but it was a really nice extra to have sometimes.

I wouldn't change a thing!