Monday, February 7, 2011

Clean Eating #44: Black Bean Brownies w/Cocoa Yogurt Cheese Frosting

Black Bean Brownies w/Cocoa Yogurt Cheese Frosting
I saw this recipe on Angie's Healthy Living Blog and decided that I had to try it.

 Ingredients:
Brownies:

  • 1 1/2 Cups soft cooked black beans
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/3 Cup agave nectar
  • 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda




Ingredients for the Icing:



 Verdict:  I liked them, Paris and Jaedin liked them.  My hubby, Squatch & The Bean didn't care for them.  Jaedin kept saying, "Are you SURE there are black beans in this?" but the other kids went, "Ooooohhhhh, that explains it."  They almost reminded me of a protein bar.

Basically, if you're looking for something to ease your chocolate craving, and not kill your diet, this might do it for you, it worked for me (but only WITH the "icing").  Is it 'as good' as a "real" brownie... Of course not, silly.  However, if I wasn't a sugar addict (Ie:  If I could EAT just ONE "real" brownie without downing the whole entire pan and gaining ten pounds as well as giving myself a crushing head ache), then I wouldn't be eating so clean in the first place, now would I?  Probably not.
What I'd do differently next time:  Since I know that more fat equals more flavor, I will definitely mess with this recipe and add some coconut oil or milled flax.  It definitely needs a little something.  Also, next time I won't forget the nuts that were in the original recipe.  It is a keeper, though, even if only three out of 6 of us eat them.