Friday, February 4, 2011

Clean Eating #39: Vegetable "Pizza" Casserole w/Tomato Sauce & Cheese.

Vegetable "Pizza" Casserole w/Tomato Sauce & Cheese.

This is it.  THE meal.  The one I wasn't sure anyone would like...The one where everyone was silent throughout the entire meal other than moaning, "ummmmmmmmmm".  Finally, at the end, I said, "Why is everyone being SO quiet?" and Squatch said, "Well, we can see dad over there chowing down, you didn't make very much, so we know he's coming after ours when he finishes his!"
I wasn't sure what to call this, but Bean, my youngest kept asking for 'more of that pizza pasta', so that's probably what we'll call it from here on out.  She's my pickiest eater, so the fact that she asked for seconds was a great sign!
*The one where I remembered to video my hubby's reaction! @the bottom of the post, I promise its worth watching.  Start at :25!  Watch Paris in the background:)
Paris made some Balsamic Salas Dressing that was AMAZING, but she didn't keep track of how much of what she put in (like mother, like daughter... she learned from the best)
Ingredients:
  • 2 zucchini sliced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • (add any veggies you want, this was what we had)
  • 1/2 bag of whole wheat egg noodles
  • 1/2 to 1 pound of Ground lean turkey *Optional
  • 3-4 cups of Homemade Marinara sauce
  • Grated or Shredded Parmesan to taste
  • 1/2 cup Low Fat Ricotta
  • Shredded Mozerella to taste


Directions
Sautee Veggies in a small bit of oil until tender
In a separate pot, cook whole wheat pasta until firm.

Mix all ingredients in sauteeing pan.
Add Marinara Sauce

Top with low fat cheeses.
I used small spoons of ricotta in several places, then sprinkled grated parmesan.
Finally, place shredded mozerella on the outside edges.
Bake until your husband comes home.
Oh, I mean, about 20-30 minutes he said... but for once was home early.
I decided to turn on the broiler to hurry up and melt the cheese so he could eat a hot meal after being out in the freezing snow all day.
Then I got distracted, because, hey, my husband was finally home...
And toasted it a little too much.

It was still a big hit (Please at least start watching at :24 seconds for just a few seconds.  Watch  my daughter meticulously place her food on her plate... then watch my husband flip out and scare the dickens out of her!:)