Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Whoa. I'm LOSING WEIGHT. Grain Free, clean eating Pot Roast

After a solid YEAR of gaining weight (whilst trying to LOSE), I have not  only NOT gained any weight this past week, but I have lost four pounds!!! (If you see them, please don't tell me, I don't want them back)

That may not sound like much, and its not a lot... but I am telling you, after watching the scale go up for so long, it feels like a miracle to see it go back down.

Apparently my body just does not like grains.  I went a while without eating gluten, but found that even brown rice was making my digestive tract go into spasms and a form of rebellion that I honestly hope I never have to deal with again.  

So I guess you'll be seeing more grain free recipes from me for a while.  And, since we're moving within the next two weeks, the recipes will be SUPER quick or made for bulk cooking because I don't have time for anything else!

Grain Free Pot Roast & Veggies in Marinara

A pot roast with veggies and meat so tender, you can cut it with a fork!

Ingredients:

Home made Marinara Sauce (or you can buy your own, I prefer to make it in bulk at home so that I know what the ingredients are!)
Beef Broth ***I like thicker stew like pot roast, so I tend to keep it 3 parts marinara to 1 part beef broth, you can use the amounts that suit you and your family.
Round Steak/Flank Steak (I used round steak and just cut extra fat off before cooking)
Carrots, chopped in large pieces
Potatoes, chopped in large pieces
Frozen Corn (although some people sensitive to grains shouldn't have corn either)
Frozen Green Beans
Cabbage, chopped
Onions, chopped in 4ths (I keep mine big so that my one non-onion kid can pick them out)

Pretty much any other veggies you want!

Directions

OAMC:  Chop the veggies, Steak and divide into meal sized freezer bags/mason jars if you're avoiding plastic.  Add Marinara sauce and seal bag.  Freeze.

When you're ready to cook, take it out and Add 1-2 cups of Beef Broth throw it in the crock pot in the morning and have for dinner.

Regular Cooking:

  • With thawed meat, put skillet on med-high.
  • Sear meat by cooking it for just a few minutes on each side.
  • Add marinara & beef broth
  • Add carrots 
  • After about an hour or so
  • Add all other veggies


Cook on the stove on medium until the meat and veggies are done (at least three hours)
Bake in oven on 350-400 for several hours.



If I had the freezer space right now, this would DEFINITELY always be a OAMC recipe.  Until I get an upright or deep freezer, we're stuck with bulk cooking on the stove and then we all just eat it until we're stuffed.  

This is a slightly modified old time family favorite.  I remember eating pot roast with potatoes and carrots at my grandma's house for Sunday dinner.  Yum!