Friday, May 27, 2011

Clean Eating #128: Crockpot Potato Onion Stew & More Wisdom Teeth Humor

Potato Onion Stew

  We're down to the nitty gritty.  Again.  Very little food in the house and $30.00 to name and a week to payday.  Yikes.  With gas being what it is... yeah, that doesn't say much!

I had a bunch of onions because apparently both my husband and I bought extra thinking we were almost out.  I also had a few potatoes.  Knowing how much my family loves onions, I decided to thaw some of my marinara sauce and make some good old fashioned stew like my mom used to make.

Of course I left out the beef, and had a LOT of onions and various other things in mine:)

Ingredients:
6 small to medium onions, cut into 4ths
4 potatoes, cut into 4ths
 1 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (I had some various types in freezer bags already diced)
4 pearl onions (because I had them leftover from something)
1-2 cups frozen corn
1-2 cups frozen/fresh spinach
1 1/2 cup cooked lentils
1 1/2  cup cooked white beans
3 heads of Roasted Garlic
1 quart of Hearty Vegetable Marinara

Directions
Throw everything into a pot, add some extra vegetable stock if you want more liquid, but I like my stew super thick.

This recipe is kind of like Barney Stinson's "how to run a marathon" comment... Put it on the stove, in the oven or in the crockpot.  Turn it on.  That's it.  I just let mine cook on medium/medium low all day long... delicious stew for dinner!