Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Clean Eating #72: Hearty Vegetable Sauce for Pastas, Eggplant Parmesan, Stews & Much More!

Hearty Loaded Vegetable Sauce

I needed some pasta type sauce for a recipe I have on my plan for this month.  Since I used all of our marinara sauce in the lasagna, I needed to make more.  This stuff reezes REALLY well, so I make a LOT.

Because of the recipes I have planned, I wanted this to be REALLY chunky and loaded with lots of veggies.  I stopped by the store and bought my ingredients:
1 Inusdtrial sized can (105 oz) of Crushed Tomatoes
1 Industrial sized can (105 oz) of Diced Tomatoes
10 medium sized carrots, shredded or sliced
4 Large Zucchini, shredded or cubed
2 EACH Red, Yellow, Orange Bell Peppers
1 Super large onion diced
1 16 oz bag of frozen Spinach
2 red chili peppers
4 heads of Roasted Garlic and chopped
64 oz of Vegetable Broth
4 Tbsp Itlaian Seasoning (more or less to taste)
2 Tbsp Ground red pepper (more or less to taste)

3 Tbsp Xylitol Brown Sugar Substitute
1 Tbsp Sea Salt
Bring vegetable broth and all chopped veggies to a boil.  Boil for about 5-10 minutes, then add tomatoes.  Simmer for a few hours and have divine sauce. 

*My Man Version (My guys love mushrooms and green peppers and LOTS of onions, us girls? Not so much.  This is an easy way to alter SOME of the sauce):
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced/chopped
2 green peppers
1 small onion
Sautee in separate pan, add some of the other 'complete' sauce to this to make your alternate version.

Kid Friendly Tip:
If your kids don't like all the chunks in their sauce, you can puree this in a blender.  All but one of my kids loves all the chunks, so we just use a mini blender to smooth out the sauce for my yougnest before putting it over her pasta/quinoa/whatever!
The Verdict:  Wow.  This actually got probably the BEST reaction.  Ever.  I can't imagine a better reaction.  It was such a good reaction, it would be inappropriate to even post it on a public blog. My hubby is really really glad that I wasn't video taping him.  Seriously.  He had tears running down his face.  I'm not joking.  He was SO seriously happy.  He ate this whole big bowl of sauce with his broiled/toasted bread topped with Mozzarella (I just discovered in my last post that I've always spelled Mozzarella wrong!  Oops!:)

Seal in freezer bags when cool and freeze for later use!

I am going to use this for eggplant parmesan, wrapped stuff chicken breasts, pasta as well as a dipping sauce for bread, apparently... and whatever else I can find.  It was definitely a big hit.