Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Clean Eating #105: Twice Baked Tofu Sweet Potato Dish

Twice Baked Tofu Sweet Potato Dish

So, in case you're wondering, yes I did buy a bulk box of Tofu:)  I have never cared for the texture of tofu, but after watching the documentary Earthlings, as well as the other documentaries that I've mention on this page... I just can't bring myself to eat most meat.  I'm still eating eggs and dairy, but even with that, I'm trying to cut way back.  My husband heaved a heavy sigh and said that he knew once we all started on this healthy road that he knew that's where it would lead, so he's pretty much on board.


Having a husband on board makes all the difference in the world!  Of course he and Squatch still eat meat occasionally, especially if we get pizza, but at home he's willing to just eat whatever I'm willing to fix.


Now for my own tofu challenge... I've always heard "Tofu doesn't HAVE a taste" well, that's all well and good, but I don't like the texture of JELLO in my normal meat dishes.  It grosses me out, honestly.  I have experimented today with pureeing it in with regular potatoes in my twice baked potatoes and now with sweet potatoes and they were both absolutely DIVINE.  I couldn't taste the tofu or notice the texture at ALL.  Squatch even liked it!  I also used tofu successfully before as a part of my beef stroganoff sauce and mushroom soup.


So my goal is to come up with a variety of tofu recipes that we will all eat AND enjoy so this can become a regular part of our diet around here.  Let me know your favorite tofu recipes, I can always use more ideas! 


For now, here are your ingredients:
4 large sweet potatoes, baked
12.3 oz of Extra Firm Tofu
1/4 cup Agave Nectar
2 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
*Optional Toppings:  Slivered Almonds and Ideal Xylitol Brown Sugar
Slice the potatoes lengthwise and put the insides into a small mixing bowl.
Add the Tofu, Agave Nectar and Spices. 
Mis well with a mixer or blender.
Stuff the potato skins with your potato mixture.
Top with Almonds and a sprinkle of brown sugar substitute.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the tops are browned.  Eat up!

Verdict:  The kids LOVED these.  LOVED them.  The question I got was, "Wait, these are healthy, right?"  
"Yep"
"Good!  Then does that mean I can have more!?"

Definitely an instant family favorite!