Saturday, February 19, 2011

Clean Eating #54: Clean Cream of Mushroom Soup

Cream of Mushroom Soup
A while back, I made Beef Stroganoff.  I realized then that the sauce for that was pretty much just cream of mushroom soup... and that if I could make it for that dish, I could surely make it just to have soup.  Then I remembered all the other dishes I used to make with canned cream of mushroom soup.  Shepherd's Pie, Tuna Noodle Cheese & Peas, Chicken & Rice bakes... and so on.  Yes!  Great idea!

I then discovered this blog, "The Joy of Clean Eating" and got distracted looking at her site for twenty minutes.  AWESOME site, people.  Check it out!  I was basically wondering what types of seasonings you use in mushroom soup, since I've really not made it before.  Her recipe looked very much like what I made for the Stroganoff, so I kind of messed with it a bit with what I had on hand and what I remembered from my Stroganoff sauce.
Ingredients:
8 button mushrooms
1 medium - large onion
1 cup Greek yogurt or yogurt cheese
1 cup low fat sour cream
1/2 carton of vegetable broth
1 cup of milk
1 TBSP. of whole wheat flour

Seasonings:
1 Tbsp Fresh Ground Pepper 
1 tsp thyme
(Oops!  I forgot to use the parsley... I just realized)
sea salt to taste

Directions:
Dice the mushrooms and onions & Sautee until tender with a little coconut oil
Add seasonings, cooked veggies, yogurt and sour cream to your blender & puree.
Return to the pan and add other liquids. Simmer for a bit 
(I left mine simmering for about 25-30 minutes because I was really busy cooking about 5 different things at once.  You don't need to leave it that long, but it didn't hurt)
It will thicken a bit as it cools.

I sauteed some extra mushrooms and onions and topped the soup with it.  My hubby liked it a lot!

What I'd Do Differently Next Time:  
  • Hmmm... probably more yogurt to thicken it a little more, because you couldn't taste it at all.  I don't like using whole wheat flour as a thickening agent.  I just... eh.  
  • I'd also make more.  I made this recipe only to realize that it only made enough for one small (for us) batch of Shepherd's Pie:( 
  • I would also get some white wine like "The Joy of Eating Clean" suggested, but I didn't have any today.

Enjoy!