Another thing that messed me up was trying to cook them in our crock pot. Our crock pot didn't get quite hot enough, so I kept wasting tons of beans when they would NEVER soften. I cook them on the stove in a large stock pot now and freeze them in quart sized bags for making bean dip/refried beans later on.
This is what I do with our beans.
- I usually don't soak them because I just forget to plan that far ahead. I just cook them in water on med-low for a couple of hours, then cook them slightly higher than medium (a 6 on our stove).
- Do not add any salt/broth/whatever until the skins are soft.
- After the skins are soft, drain 1/2 the water and add broth, peppers, garlic & onions.
- Cook until mushy (about 3-4 hours)
- Puree in a blender with extra broth if needed and salsa.
- Add extra ingredients for a great bean dip, or leave plain for regular refried beans.
1 red chili pepper, diced & sauteed