Monday, March 7, 2011

Clean Eating #70: Vegetarian CHEAP Vegetable Broth Recipe

Inexpensive Homemade Vegetable Broth!

Pacific Natural Foods Organic Vegetable Broth, 8-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 24)

Did anyone ever notice how EXPENSIVE Vegetable Broth is?  I paid $2.98 for the less expensive brand at the store the other day and just about choked.

I came home and read about how to make my own, and when we made lasagna the other day, I took all the eggplant, carrot, bell peppers and zucchini scraps and made my own broth.  Which made it basically FREE, because I hadn't been using those scraps at all anyway (for anything other than compost).

All I did was take the scraps and boil them on Med-High heat for about an hour (or maybe two... I really didn't pay attention, I had so much other cooking stuff going on, I just checked it an added water occasionally!)


Then I used my handy dandy Seive and drained all the broth... Viola!  Vegetable Broth!
I'll stick it in a freezer bag and have it handy for next time!
Free is better than $2.98.  Free is better than $1.00.  FREE IS AWESOME.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing it before.  I make my own chicken stock... oh well, a lesson learned is a lesson learned!  I will be making my own stock EVERY prep day, because we have been using a LOT of borth/stock in our dishes.  This will be healthier and I'll KNOW exactly what is (or isn't) in it!

And yes, I realize that a lot of you probably already DO this, but it was a revelation to me, so I'm sharing just in case!