Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Clean Eating #63: End of the Month New-Left Overs Vegetarian (or not) Soup

 Divine Vegetarian (or not) Soup
*Look!  My pretty letters are the same color as my pretty cabbage!

Do you ever have those days, nearing the end of the month/new shopping day when you just really don't want to leave the house?  Then you realize that your freezer has plenty of stuff and surely you could make something... right?  Right.  Well, I was actually inspired by this head of cabbage that I didn't want to go to waste:
Thanks to the Zumba forum & Pauline, I finally found a use for the cabbage that's been sitting in my fridge for a while.  SOUP!

I also discovered that a cleaver and a head of cabbage is a little bit too much fun.  I had to toss a bit of cabbage away after I got slightly carried away with my chopping and some of it ended up on the floor.  The Bean thought I had lost my mind.  I really didn't think that wailing away with a knife would ever be so... fun.

Basically this was my last ditch effort to avoid going to the store for yet another day.  I tried to use up all the leftover veggies I had in my freezer from last month's prep day.  I didn't quite use them ALL, but I did use quite a bit.  I guess I stocked up a little more than I thought last month!  I also used the last of my marinara sauce.  I finally made enough to get through an entire month!

Ingredients:
*This is what I used, feel free to make your own variations, but this was AWESOME!
1 Carton Vegetable Broth
1/2 Gallon Size Bag of Marinara Sauce
3/4ths head of cabbage
1 large onion
1 large potato
1 head of roasted garlic
1 quart sized bag of chopped red, yellow & orange bell peppers
1 bag of lentils
1 cup whole grain couscous
1/2 cup Quinoa (wow, we used a LOT of Quinoa last month!)
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped

*Bring to a boil, cook on Medium for at least 15-20 Minutes.

Then Add:
1 Bag frozen corn
1 Bag frozen Peas
*Cooked ground turkey if you want the carnivore version


Last Chance to Request a meal or two for this month!  I'm making my list and checking it twice.  Oh, wait.  That's Santa Claus.  Well, I'm making a list... so if you have something you want, bring it on!

What I'd Do Differently Next Time:  I certainly hope I have cabbage in soup again.  This was absolutely divine.  DIVINE.  I'm telling you!