1-2 pounds of whole wheat dough from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day or your own favorite whole grain bread recipe.
1 apple, shredded or sliced into thin strips (I used my hand grater and sliced them thin)
Cinnamon to taste
Ideal Brown Sugar Substitute to taste
- Gently roll out the dough, as quickly as possible, the point being to not break all of your air bubbles.
- Cut into long triangular shapes.
- Top with Sliced/grated apples, cinnamon and a little sprinkle of brown sugar substitute
- Roll up, beginning with the wide end, pinching the tip slightly into the roll so it stays
- Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon
- Let rise for about an hour on a lightly floured surface, or until dough is puffed and room temperature
- Using a spatula, place gently on preheated pizza stone
- Bake at 350 for about 8-12 minutes, depending on the size of your rolls. They're done when slightly browned.
3/4 cup of yogurt cheese *See below for tips*
8 Tbsp of Ideal Powdered Sugar Substitute
1/2 tsp Orange Extract (you can use whatever flavor, we love orange:)
*Making Yogurt Cheese:
Take Plain, non fat yogurt and drain. I used a lightweight dishcloth and used rubber bands to make a seive over a tall plastic storage 'cup'. You could use cheese cloth and a sieve, but this worked well enough for me. Let the liquid drain, then twisting the top of the fabric, I used my hands to squeeze out the last of the liquid until the yogurt was pretty firm... about the consistency of whipped cream cheese.
|I used a rubber spatula to scrape the "cheese" into a ball and put it in a fresh container.|
What I'd Do Differently Next time:
Ummm... not make as many? Honestly, I'm sure that the very next time I make these that I'll experiment with blue berries. These are so much like cinnamon rolls and I love putting bluberries and almonds in my cinnamon rolls! I would like to experiment with different flavors of "frosting" as well. What are your ideas? I love crunch and different, unexpected textures in my treats...
Yogurt "Cheese" I must admit that I didn't expect to like the yogurt cheese. Although I don't mind a little yogurt flavor in my protein shakes, I am really not a huge fan of yogurt. This yogurt "cheese" is meant to take the place of cream cheese, and I must say, I really REALLY liked the end result. The kids used it as sort of a dip for their rolls and they loved these rolls. I think it would be a great Saturday morning breakfest treat with a healthy egg white omelette for some protein to offset the sweetness.