Friday, February 4, 2011

ALMOST Clean Raisin Bran Cookies

Almost Clean Raisin Bran Crunch Cookies

I know a lot of you reading this aren't complete sticklers to the "Eat Clean" way, especially for your kids... so, if your kids like Raisin Bran, they just came out with a new box with no high fructose corn syrup!  It still does have sugar in it, though so its not entirely clean.  However, if you have a clean Rasin Bran type cereal, you could replace it in this recipe and be good to go.  I just cleaned up the recipe on the side of the box!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Ideal brown sugar substitute
1/4 cup oil (I used melted coconut oil)
2 Tbsp water
2 egg whites
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of Raisin Bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cups ground or chopped nuts
1/4 cup dried fruit (we would normally do this, but we were out, so no luck:(
1/2 cup chia seeds (optional... I call them 'healthy sprinkles)


Directions:
Mix sugar, water and egg whites.  Blend well.
Mix dry ingredients separately, then add to wet mixture.
roll into 1 inch balls and roll in chia seeds
Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes
I took the dough and rolled it into small 1 inch circles, then rolled them in a bowl of chia seeds for extra crunch.  They were a hit!  Not too sweet, either.  I think I'd probably add more dried fruit next time. Maybe some dried cranberries for variety.

What I'd Do Differently Next time:  These were definitely a hit.  Not too sweet, but still tasted like a treat.  The kids suggested that next time we add some peanut butter... so I guess I need to figure out how I would incorporate that without messing with texture.  These actually had a fantastic texture.  Total hit!

I also kind of want to try using my clean cereals to make cookies with.  I'm going to be on a mission... as soon as I get more brown sugar substitute.  That's going to be missed if we are snowed in for any longer!