Saturday, January 29, 2011

Clean Eating #33: Tuna Vegetable Salad Pita Sandwich

Tuna Vegetable Salad Pita Sandwich
I whipped up a few pitas from my bread dough in the fridge today because my Hubby was in the mood for a Tuna Salad Sandwich. I added some new-to-us veggies and fruit to the mix because... well, you know how I like my variety of textures and colors!  This would be great to pack separately for a lunchbox meal!


Ingredients:
2 Celery stalks, minced (Yay!  I am finally using that celery that I insisted we'd eat and Hubby insisted would go to waste!!  I get to be right again!  Oh.  Sorry... anyway, onto the ingredients!...)
2 Carrots, grated
1/2 Crisp Apple, diced (I know, right?  How odd is that??  But it was awesomely yummy!)
2-3 boiled egg whites, chopped small
1/2 cup peas
Green Onion, minced
Some Sunflower seeds
2 cans of White Tuna, packed in water
Fresh Baby leaf Spinach (to eat with the tuna salad.... I stuff some spinach in the pita before the tuna salad)
Whole Wheat Pita Breads

"Mayo"
1/3 cup of yogurt
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Parsley
2 tsp white wine vinegar

Mix together all of that and add yogurt mixture.
Now, if, like me, you're thinking, "WHAT?  I'm not ruining all that food with YOGURT!!!", you can do as I did and place a tiny bit of your tuna mixture in a separate bowl (yeah, yeah, more dirty dishes, I know) and mix it with some of the yogurt mixture to reassure yourself and/your spouse or children.

In our house it went something like this:
"Um. No.  Not so much.  We don't have ANY Mayo tat I can have?"

So, the family used our Olive Oil Mayo which does have less fat... and hey, they're eating raw veggies on a whole grain homemade pita w/fresh baby spinach... I'm not going to complain!

What I'd do Differently Next Time:
Hmmm... Find a different Mayo substitute, because as much as I've enjoyed the yogurt substitutes (ala the apple crescent roll frosting!! YUM!), yogurt was not meant to go with everything.  Maybe Greek Yogurt would have been better, but I can not make myself spend literally four tms as much for Greek as I spend for Dannon All Natural Plain yogurt.  Just can't do it!  

Other than that, this was a HUGE WIN!!  The crunchy veggies and sunflower seeds... DELICIOUS!

Any suggestions??
Oooh!  Just found this on cleaneatngmag.com
CLEAN EATING OLIVE OIL MAYO
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
I will be trying this out!