Friday, June 17, 2011

Clean Eating #144: Meatloaf made healthier

Meatloaf

Okay, my poor meat eating son has been tortured for over three months.  He turns 16 this month, but he'll be out of state on his birthday, so I took pity on him and bought ingredients for one of his favorite dishes:  Meatloaf.
My soon to be 16 year old, Kainan AKA Squatchmo

He was SO shocked and got right to work making some.

Ingredients:
5.5 pounds Extra Lean Ground Beef
1 large onion, finely diced
2 Cups of crushed whole wheat crackers or bread crumbs
8 Egg Whites
2 Cups of Clean Marinara

Sauce:
1 1/2 cup Clean marinara or ketchup
1/2 cup Xylitol brown sugar substitute OR 1/4 cup Agave Nectar

Mix all ingredients except the sauce.  Form into loaves or burgers (I often do burger sized because then they cook a lot faster:) and cover with foil.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes for burgers, 30 minutes for larger loaves.  Uncover, top with sauce and bake an additional 8-15 minutes until the sauce looks almost caramelized.

I usually bake my loaves on a broiler pan so that any grease can drip off.

Serve with a big green salad to offset the meat:)  Enjoy!