Thursday, June 2, 2011

Clean Eating #138 & 139: Green Onion Soup

Green Onion Soup
or 
Spinach & Green Onion Soup

Truth time.  Even thought I recently discovered a love for French Onion soup, I didn't think this recipe would please me at ALL.  It seemed too... bland.  Too... green.  I love green.  I love green onions, but I like variety and this seemed like it would just be too... single minded.

I DID end up messing with my original recipe, but even without the additions, I ate a bowl and enjoyed it.  I just needed a bit more flavor.  Yeah, it had plenty of green onion flavor, but I guess I needed more variety of flavor.

Since my pantries are pretty much bare, I had to go with what I could find, namely frozen spinach and extra caramelized onions.  I then pureed them to give a little bit of thickening to the soup without adding any wheat.  I'm cutting out wheat for the next three weeks for a cleanse I'm doing.  I should probably go wheat free, if not gluten free altogether, just knowing how much better I do without it, but I'm just not sure I'm up for that quite yet.

I figure giving up refined foods, additives, artificial sweeteners, and now most meats... I'm doing what I can:)

Anyway, on to the recipe(s):

Green Onion Soup:
2 bunched of green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp Oil (EVOO or coconut oil)
1 small-medium Vidala onion, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
3 cups vegetable broth/other broth
1 cup water
salt & pepper to taste

Caramelized the Vidalia onions on medium heat with a tablespoon of oil for about 15 minutes
Add pressed garlic & chopped green onions for another 10 minutes
Add broth and water and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve hot.


Spinach & Green Onion Soup:
2 bunched of green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp Oil (EVOO or coconut oil)
3 medium Vidala onion, finely diced
1 cup of chopped frozen spinach
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
3 cups vegetable broth/other broth
1 1/4 cup water
salt & pepper to taste

Caramelized the Vidalia onions on medium heat with a tablespoon of oil for about 20-25 minutes
*Separate out approximately 2/3rds of the caramelized onions and set aside
Add pressed garlic & chopped green onions for another 10 minutes
Add broth and 1 cup of water and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Take the separated caramelized onions, spinach & 1/4 cup of water and puree thoroughly in the blender

Add puree to your soup and simmer on medium low for another 20 minutes until thickened.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Verdict:  I Liked the first version.  I LIKED it.  It would have been really good as a small SIDE to another, really rich dish, but since I was eating it by itself, it needed more.  If you have a more simple palate and prefer less flavor explosion, this will be your speed.

*The added spinach puree?  Loved it.  I probably should have done without the puree and just added the onions and spinach chopped, but I was curious:)  Plus, I don't much care for really 'broth' liquid soups.  I prefer more substance.  I don't know why.  Something I should probably get over.

Anyway, take your pick!  Those are the recipes for today.  Or right now, anyway.  What is your favorite onion based recipe?

I think the French Onion Soup Tartines are still my favorite!