Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Clean Eating #124: Baked Onion Rings

Baked Onion Rings
Let me add this to the list of things I've never tried until starting this blog (as well as guacamole, eggplant & tofu) and actually LOVED once I did try it.  I'm not sure I'd like the fried version though, as I really don't care much for fried foods... except Krispy Kreme Donuts, of course:)

Ingredients:
2 Onions
3 Egg White
1 Egg
1/4 cup of milk
Breading (you can use whatever breading you like)
1/2 cup Shredded Wheat Cereal
1/2 cup Wheat Germ
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Whole Grain Bread Crumbs

Slice your onions thickly

Dip in Egg mixture

Coat with breading mixture

Stick on lightly oiled pan and bake at 375 for 5-7 minutes on each side

Eat up!

Honestly, these tasted FANTASTIC.  I wouldn't even have considered myself a great fan of onions, but these were terrific.  The crunchiness and the onions tasted almost sweet.  I am definitely a fan.  HOWEVER, these were a pain in the butt to make.  For as fast as they disappeared, it seemed like a lot of tedious work to get them all dipped and coated.  I need a better/easier way to coat them with bread crumbs.  Any ideas?? Because we all LOVED eating them, but I definitely didn't care for the tedium of making them.  I tried the technique of making my kids do it, but they were fairly lame at actually accomplishing even coating, which ruined the whole concept.

Thoughts? Ideas?? Inspirations???

Edited version of the recipe I found in Vegetarian Times (Yes, I edit EVERY recipe because it never fails, I am ALWAYS missing at least one ingredient!!)

By the way, if anyone wanted to buy me a subscription to this magazine, I'd gladly take it!