Sunday, May 15, 2011

Clean Eating #120: Ricotta Stuffed Eggplant w/Marinara Sauce

Ricotta Stuffed Eggplant w/Marinara Sauce


**Don't forget to SOAK your eggplant in salt water, then drain on a towel before trying to cook it!


Chop two eggplant into extra thick slices
Sprinkle liberally with salt and soak in a big bowl of water.
While that's soaking, you can mix up your filling.

Filling:  
**I made more than I needed for a recipe for the next day, so you can half this if you don't need extra!:)
1 cup Skim Ricotta Cheese
1 Cup Non/Low Fat Cottage Cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Kale leaf, chopped
1 small onion, diced & sauteed


Slice half way through your thick slice and empty out a bit of space for the filling.


I did this two ways and they both worked, but we preferred the breaded one.

First I used the top and bottom of each eggplant and hollowed them out and baked them like this:

With the other, I did it just like I did for my Eggplant Parmesan, dipped it in egg whites, then covered it with whole grain bread crumbs & ground flax seed before cooking in a skillet for about 3-5 minutes on each side.

They both turned out yummy!

I baked these for about 20 minutes on 350.

The cheesey filling in the middle was definitely a good addition to our 'normal' eggplant parmesan.

These baked until soft... about an additional 5-8 minutes after cooking in the skillet.