Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Clean Eating #91: Salmon Patties

Salmon Patties
A GREAT meal after a twenty mile bike ride with your family!  Lots of Omega3 & PROTEIN
It must first be stated that my mother used to make these ALL THE TIME when I was growing up.  I always hated them.  Early in my marriage I made them for some insane reason and most of my kids LOVED them.  I try to remember to make them occasionally.  I cleaned them up by replacing the bread crumbs with clean ingredients.

Ingredients:
3 cans of pink salmon
1/2 cup shredded wheat cereal (blended)
1/4th cup ground flaxseed
1/4th cup wheat germ/oat bran
6 egg whites
3 TBSP finely diced onion
pepper to taste

Directions:
Have your most unsqueamish child pick the bigger bones out of the salmon (my hubby insists that the other bones are fine to eat and are filled with a lot of nutrients, so chomp away)
Mix salmon with egg and dry ingredients
Form into patties
COOKING:
People without A.D.D. : Cook on medium heat for about 5-8 minutes per side
The rest of us:  Cook on 3-4 with a lid on the pan if you plan to leave the stove for ANY reason.  Cook until you smell fish and think, "Hmmm... that smells good... what was I doing?"  Then flip them over and start again.  Eat them before you smell smoke.  Alternatively, you could have your kids cook them, but my kids are as bad as me, so it wasn't an option.


We rode twenty miles today.  I used four cans of salmon, intended to be served with a bag of broccoli.  Everyone ate all the broccoli waiting for these to be cooked, then ate ALL of the salmon patties as well.  I should have made pasta or rice to go along with it, but I was too tired.  My husband sat down in front of the serving plate and not even thinking ate all that was in front of him.  Thankfully, the rest of us had already had ours!