Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Clean Eating #108: Zucchini Tomato Meat Casserole

Zucchini Tomato Meat Casserole
Ingredients:
1 large zucchini, shredded lengthwise
1 box of couscous, cooked
1/2 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
6 oz grape tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1 lb lean ground turkey, cooked
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Dice and Sautee the veggies with the Zucchini
Layer couscous, then sauteed vegetables then ground beef.
Top with loaded vegetable sauce
Top with Mozarella or Parmesan cheese (or both, if that's your thing, we're trying to cut back on cheese)
Bake for 15-20 minutes until hot throughout and the cheese is melted/slightly brown around the edges.

Serve Hot!

Verdict:  I actually made this dish for my meat loving guys on the same day I made the tofu stuffed zucchini... and they chose to eat the Zucchini instead.  How weird are they?  Pretty much the same ingredients, except this had meat AND green bell peppers, neither of which I like... and they chose to eat my tofu stuffed zucchini??  What the HECK?  As a matter of fact, this dish is still sitting in the fridge... all alone and only half eaten.  Go figure.  I guess I must be rubbing off on these guys.

What I'd Do Differently Next Time:  Skip the couscous and use other types of noodles.  I think they thought the couscous was something overly healthy or something.   I bet if I added more cheese and more sauce, they'd eat it up in a heart beat.  I think I'll go add more sauce, mix it up and heat it up with mozzarella on top and I imagine it will disappear... and I'll get credit for cooking something new.  Until they read this post, that is.