Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy 13th Birthday Paris!! Homemade, almost clean Cinnamon Rolls

13th Birthday Cinnamon Rolls

Today is my daughter's 13th birthday.
Instead of cake, she asked for Cinnamon rolls...
so, of course, with that kind of request, how could I say no?

I found a recipe here, and we used what we had on hand (which is what made them mostly clean)
This is what we used instead:

  • 1 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 5 Tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp paking powder
  • 2 Tbsp instant yeast
  • 1/2 cup Xylitol
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 eggs
For the fillings I used
coconut oil
cinnamon
chopped frozen blueberries
Whey Low brown sugar
sliced almonds


Directions:
Heat milk & butter in sauce pan until butter is melted and the milk is just warm.
Add water and eggs to your wet ingredients.

Mix all dry ingredients in bowl.
Slowly add dry ingredients to warm liquids, mix with mixer until you get to the point that the dough is forming and somewhat firm.  You should have some dry ingredients left.  Go ahead and put the remainder of the dry ingredients on the table, knead your dough until all the dry ingredients are kneaded in, then knead for an additional 3-5 minutes.

Cover loosely with a towel or plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for about thirty minutes.

Take a handful of dough and spread into a rectangle on a greased surface, like so:


Rub lightly with coconut oil

Sprinkle with cinnamon

Sprinkle with Brown Sugar substitute

Roll Up

Slice

Put slices in a greased pan and let rise for about 10-15 minutes

I like to add blueberries and almonds to about half of the cinnamon rolls as well.

Finished!

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl!!

Verdict:  These were SO good, even my picky son said, "Thank you for making "real" cinnamon rolls and not healthy ones!"
We added some yogurt cheese to about half of them and I thought it was the best thing ever with a nice cup of coffee.  Now, I'm off to the gym to make up for the fact that I ate several of these!

I also made a blueberry bread loaf that turned out really well.  Instead of cutting completely through, I cut half way and baked as a loaf.  This looked super fancy and I think it would work really well if you were have a special dinner or something as a decadent looking dessert!