Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Clean Eating #71: Guest Post for Butternut Squash Casserole

Butternut Squash Casserole

**Guest Post by my 14 year old son, Jaedin, whom I called from town last night saying, "I need a post using squash, look something up and make it clean..."

Ingredients


1 butternut squash

1/2 cup agave nectar/or xilotol

1 1/2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 pinch salt

2 tablespoons whole wheat flour

3 eggs

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted


Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Put butternut squash on a cutting board. Cut in half,peel,scoop out seeds,and cube. 


 Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.

In a 9x13 inch casserole dish combine mashed butternut squash, agave nectar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, flour, eggs and 1/4 cup melted coconut oil. 

Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until set,(half of the casserole was already gone before I had a chance to photograph the end product).
What I'd Do differently Next Time:  I'd probably use a little less Agave Nectar because this was pretty sweet.  Although my sisters thought it was dessert and loved me for making it, so maybe I'd just make it the same way.  Mom says that maybe we could add a crunchy topping or something, but I thought it was delicious.  Any ideas for a good dish to eat this with?  Because I just made this and it wasn't a real meal.