Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Clean Eating: Organization & Cheap Food "Cannisters" for Storage of Bulk Foods

Inexpensive Organization
  • Is anyone else tired of all the bulk food bags/plastic baggies and whatnot cluttering up your pantry shelves? 
  • How about paying $7.00 or more for a cannister when you need at least a dozen?
  • Oh, and did I mention MOTHS!?

We have such a problem with moths at my house that I have to be absolutely religious about putting my food in moth proof bags/containers.
My Cheap "Cannisters"  Vital Wheat Gluten, Coconut, Slivered Almonds, Sesame Seeds, Red Quinoa
 I have spent many hours at the store, drooling over cool looking stackable glass cannisters, but honestly, I can't afford to spend upwards of $5-$6 per container.  I just can't justify it.  Yes, I'm cheap.

Then, I had a fabulous idea (I bet you have a clue where I'm going with this:)

I bought 1 dozen Glass Canning jars for $8.99!  That's Twelve Cannisters for less than $1.00 each!  Yay!
Almonds, Cranberries, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds

Lookie!  I have such organized food stuffs now!  No more messes of bags, boxes and a mess!

Oh!!  I forgot!  We're in a rental house, so I can't do this, but a GREAT idea is to use scews to screw the lids of smaller jars to the underside of your cabinets.  Then you can just screw the jar up on to the lid and you have off the counter storage!  This works wonders with babyfood jars for spices, or small canning jars.  I got the idea from my dad, actually, who uses this method to store all of his screws, nails and whatnot in the garage!  Thanks, dad!