Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Clean Eating#47: Tuna Noodle Casserole

Clean Eating Tuna Noodle Casserole w/Crunchy Topping
A.K.A.
Tuna Noodle Cheese & Peas


Ingredients 
(makes a LOT!  There were leftovers with my big family)
1 bag of whole wheat noodles
1 bag of frozen peas
3 cans of tuna in water
1 cup shredded Mozerella cheese
Parmesan to taste

Sauce:  *Next time I'd make twice as much sauce!!

8 oz chopped portabello mushrooms
1/2 one large onion
1 tsp coconut oil
1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth


Directions:
Cook noodles & peas to taste (I leave peas pretty 'crispy')
Sautee mushrooms and onions until tender.
Puree mushrooms, onions, broth and yogurt cheese together to make the sauce.


Pour sauce over noodles, tuna, peas and mozerella.
Mix well and add optional topping

Topping:
1/2 cup of almonds
1/2 cup of flaxseed
3/4 cup of shredded wheat cereal
Blend and pour over top before baking:


Bake at 305 for about 20 minutes until bubbling.
I prepared mine in the morning and kept it in the fridge until dinner time, so it needed to cook a little longer.

What I'd do differently next time;  Next time I'll definitely double the sauce!  It was good.  My kids had two or THREE servings and didn't notice any difference from the canned soup version I used to make.  It was awesome.  My husband really loved it as well.  No one noticed that there was yogurt in it, and I definitely liked the texture far better than the tofu I used in the beef stroganoff.  I will try yogurt in that next time too!
Print