Monday, January 31, 2011

Cooking & Planning with Impending Storms

*Say the following out loud before reading the words in red.  Also be sure to use enough scary sounding inflection to make it really count!:  "Dun, Dun, Duuuuun!" (Can you I am at times a drama teacher?)  Now, read in a newscaster's imminent danger voice:  GO!

Impending Storms. 
Blizzard Warnings. 
Inches, no, wait! FEET of SNOW! 
Schools closing and it hasn't even started yet.

And we live out on county roads.  Which, if you're not aware basically means that they don't get maintained much at all and it doesn't take much for me to get snowed in. 

And I had tomorrow scheduled as my food shopping day.  So, if you're anything like me, you know that means that we're down to the pantry staples, rice, pasta, dried beans... and a few bags of frozen vegges (seriously, what was I thinking with all those peas!?  I've used peas in everything and still have three or four bags left!  Big bags!)  AS well as a bag of carrots, bag of edamame, 2 bags of spinach and 1 small bag of broccoli.


I have seasonings, but no peppers, garlic (no garlic???  whatever will we do!?) and a couple of onions.  Now I'm wishing that I'd waited to make that chili.  Chili on a cold snowy day... yes!  Oh wait, no.  We ate it all.  Silly people.  Lot's of seasonings at least:


I have flour and yeast, a little bit of sweetener left, a few eggs and some cereal.  Oh, and a few potatoes. 

Along with our groats, which would be better with some fruit, but I can do "brown sugar" porridge, and I think I have some raisins.

All this just to say, I probably won't get to my "planned" recipes for a bit yet, but I will definitely have some ideas for those of you who get down to the end of your food budget and need some ideas!  I certainly have plenty of rice, pastas and flours.  Some quinoa and other baking stuff.  We'll be juuuuust fine. 


I think I'm going to enjoy the challenge, but I am still a little disappointed because I have been missing all the new recipes SO much!  I get o flipping excited about meal plans... I'm such a dork:)

And I didn't even take a photo of our 'rice and beans' drawer.  This will turn out to be such a good thing.  I will use up some stuff that I'd probably otherwise forget about. Yes.

So, on the table for tomorrow:  Quinoa & Groats Porridge with cinnamon and raisins.  Experiment with new bread.  Make some sort of veggie something. 

What do you find yourself making when you're at the end of your food budget?  Or you find yourself snowed in for a day or two... or three.  I'm just hoping its not like the bad storm a few years ago that had people withou electricity for days and some for weeks!