Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Clean Eating #6: AWESOME O.M.G. Banana Crunch Muffins.

Clean Banana Crunch Muffins
Slightly modified from The Gracious Pantry recipe
*Wonderful, highly recommended site!!!  She is amazing and her site is so well organized, I loved it.

I wanted to add some "crunch" to the recipe, so I ground up Kashi cereal, walnuts & almonds in my mini blender.  I also added some organic flaked coconut for something different.  I also didn't have pastry flour  or canola oil and with 5 kids, I wanted to double it... so my recipe looked more like this:
 Ingredients


3 cups whole wheat flour
1 Cup whole grain unbleached white flour
4 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon *plus some in the applesauce... we really like cinnamon:)
4 egg whites
1 cup agave nectar.  We used the amber and it seemed to give it a richer flavor, almost but not quite as strong as molasses.  I would use less next time just because it seemed almost too sweet. 
4 tbsp. coconut oil (an oil I buy in 55# and use for nearly everything oil)
1/2 cup milk (non-fat) or almond milk, or coconut milk (we avoid most soy products)
2 small apples shredded, boiled in a tiny bit of water until soft
5 ripe bananas (I always use an extra banana, its a quirk)
Crunchy Topping:  *Grind in a blender or food processor
Kashi cereal
walnuts
Almonds
When the muffin batter was in the mini muffin tin, I sprinkled the 'crunchy' stuff and they turned out wonderfully!

I bakeed them at 400, since that's what the oven was already on for the pizzas and the mini muffins turned out perfectly.

The finished product (and they were a HUGE hit!)

Coconut Oil ~ we prefer coconut oil to EVOO because we don't care for the strong taste... we use it in place of most recipes calling for oil as well as for sauteeing veggies & meats.  I melted it before measuring, since it is solid at room temperature, I tend to mess up my recipes when I don't melt it first.


My mini blender (I've had several brands and styles of these, and I love them all!  I highly recommend it.  I also LOVE the Hamilton Beach blender that we have that has the option of one HUGE blender *using two separate blender bases or you can use the mini blenders separately... LOVE IT~

Boiling apples & cinnamon right quick.  My new handheld shredder has come in very handy several times already!
Holy COW. 

Seriously, that is all that could come out of my mouth when I tried these.  HOLY COW.  These are AWESOME!!  The kids love them, too (BONUS... oh wait, now I'll have to make more)