Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Clean Eating #26: Sweet & Salty Pork/Beef Stir Fry w/Basmati Rice

Sweet & Salty Pork/Beef Stiry Fry with Basmati Rice
I wasn't feeling altogether well tonight so my hubby saved the day and we finally got the stir fry made, including a last minute trip to the store for oranges, since we've learned that fresh fruit can not stay put in our house.
Note to self:  Get some pretty plates again.
*Slightly altered from the January 2011 Clean Eating Magazine

Verdict:  Everyone loved this.  Even my picky eaters.  Even Squatch even came into my room saying, "Now THIS is good food.  Healthy food that doesn't taste like healthy food.  Good."  (between mouthfuls)  The Basmati Rice was a nice change.  I don't think I've actually ever had it before.  The hint of orange was awesome.  We all love oranges, but for whatever reason, we've never thought of cooking with it.

PREP DAY: 
Cook pork tenderloin and flank steak, cutting into very think strips.  Freeze or refrigerate.
Cut carrots into thin 'matchsticks'.  Freeze or refrigerate.

Ingredients:
3/4 c cooked rice (We used Basmati rice, you can use Jasmine or brown rice)
16 oz sugar snap peas/Snow peas
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 lb pork tenderloin (see prep above)
1/2 lb flank steak (see prep above)
small bag of baby carrots (see prep above)
3 cloves of garlic, sliced into thin rounds
3 tsp ground fresh ginger
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (we didn't have rice vinegar... though we did, so we didn't buy any.  Oops!)
Juice of one large orange
8 oz bean sprouts.
Since my husband did the cooking, this is the extent of 'prep' photos:


Beautiful, no?  Hey, I'm not complaining... I didn't have to cook!


We had a bit of extra meat in ours... all these carnivores get a little out of hand at times.
  • Saute your carrots & garlic in coconut oil, when those are starting to get tender, add in the snap peas and frozen meat. 
  • Stir in soy sauce and vinegar. 
  • Remove pan from heat when all veggies and meat are hot.
  • Stir in orange juice, toss in bean sprouts and serve over warm rice. 
What I'd do Differently:  Next time, I'd make sure to hide some oranges from the kids so I didn't have to run tot he store on a cold, dark night.  Plus, I'd probably figure out a way to make a little more sauce.  And definitely watch the cooking time on the snap peas.  Ours got a tad bit over done.  Otherwise, it turned out wonderfully.

Oh, and today, made even better whole grain bread witha  few tweaks from the awesome bread book I reviewed yesterday!!  The only problem was that someone set their spatula on top of my rising bread on the back of the stove and flattened the top.  AND the kids ate the whole loaf in about two minutes.  I'm glad its so quick to make!