Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Clean Eating #25: Breakfast or Snack Cranberry Almond Quinoa Oat Porridge

Cranberry Almond Porridge with Quinoa & Steel Cut Groats
*topped with brown sugar substitute/agave nectar and chia seeds. This was our favorite so far!  The chocolate banana groats are moving down the list:)

The kids loved it too. Paris and I put this at the top of our favorites list for sure!
I used a 4 Quart Pan about half full of water (I know, I know, so sue me for my crappy measurements)
1 1/2 cups steel cut groats (this makes a LOT) Oat Groats, Steel Cut - 25 Lb Bag Each
3/4ths cup of Quinoa Ancient Harvest Organic Quinoa, Traditional, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Bring to a boil, then add
I just used my mini blender and ground all the stuff at once:
1/2 cup Chopped Cranberries (You should be able to find some on sale this time of year, chop and freeze for quick use later)
3/4 cup ground/chopped almonds
1/4 cup Brown Sugar sub/Agave Nectar
1/8 cup ground flax seed (I keep whole flax in the freezer and grind it in small batches as I need it so it stays fresh)
2 Tbsp of Cinnamon
Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender.
Both Quinoa (good source of protein) and Steel Cut Oats retain a bit of crunchiness, but should be fairly tender.
Serve hot, topped with extra chopped almonds, cranberries & chia seeds. DELICIOUS, nutty, crunchy, and since I ground up the nuts, even my kids who don't "like" almonds ate it without noticing. All the textures are wonderful together with just a hint of sweet.

This was a HUGE HIT.  A great, filling breakfast, one dish meal with all the fiber and protein we needed for a great breakfast.  There is a bit leftover, but I imagine one of us will eat it before we get a chance for any other oats recipes.