Saturday, January 8, 2011

Clean Eating #15: Carrot Zucchini Muffins, a Great lunchbox snack

Carrot Zucchini Muffins
Verdict:  Yummy.  Ironically enough, although I thought the pumpkin ones were sweet enough and the girls thought they weren't sweet enough, they loved these... whilst I found them to be lacking a little sweetness. I'm not sure I'd change anything though, since the kids liked them.  Less sweetness to combat sugar cravings sounds good to me!  **ETA:  Now that I've eaten several of these (the downside of good food, I need to stop eating it!!) I think the sweetness is just right.

I bake my muffins in mini muffin pans at 375-400.
Blend Dry Ingredients:
3 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup whole wheat white flour.
4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp Cinnamon

Mix Wet Ingredients:
10 egg whites
1 1/2 cups of melted coconut oil
2 cups of dark agave nectar
1 cup of applesauce (unsweetened)
4 cups of shredded zucchini
2 cups of shredded carrots
4 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon juice

Blend mixture together... put into muffin tins.  This batch filled our 24 count mini muffin pans 4 times.  A lot of muffins... which is great, because if my kids don't devour them all right away, they freeze really well for lunches later!



The Bean helping me out.  She loves shredding veggies.
What I'd do differently next time: 
I'm not sure if I'd change much.  They were really moist and turned out really well texture wise.  I think I'd want a little more... spice or something.  Any suggestions?  Nutmeg?  Is there a cinnamon-type spice that has maybe a little 'kick' to it?

At some point I want to try making yogurt cheese and using it for making some icing for the kids muffins.  Right now we're all trying to get off sugar, so anything extra sweet needs to just stay away!