Saturday, January 8, 2011

Clean Eating #14: Pumpkin Chocolate "chip" muffins

Clean Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins

Verdict:  Delicious!!!  The girls said they should be sweeter, but I honestly liked them just the way they were.  I pretty heavily modified the recipe we've used for years. 


Mix together Dry Ingredients:
2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat White Flour
3/4 cup Xylitol Brown Sugar blend
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Mix together Wet Ingredients:
3/4 Cup dark Agave Nectar (you can use honey or light nectar just as well)
6 Egg Whites
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I didn't have any again, so I made some right quick)
1/4 cup of oil
Unsweetened Chocolate Baking squares, shredded
I tried using our grater for the chocolate... but found that "slicing" it with a knife was much faster and gave me slightly bigger pieces.

I was a little worried that the unsweetened chocolate was going to be too 'harsh' in the muffins, but I thought it was a nice compliment to the sweet pumpkin flavor. 
What I'll do differently next time:
Maybe use a little more chocolate... or melt the chocolate and blend it in.  All in all, though, I thought these turned out REALLY well.  Definitely a nice treat with my coffee this afternoon! 
Hold the phone.  I decided to melt another 2 oz of unsweetened chocolate and mix it in with my second pan of muffins.  Not so much.  If you try it, add some extra sweetener.  They were almost... savory at that point.