Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Clean Eating Childhood Revamp! Skunkburger Pizza!

Yummy!  Skunkburger Pizza-Dilla


When I was growing up, my mom had a habit of renaming cuts of meat that she thought we might balk at eating.  We raised cows, pigs and chickens and butchered them ourselves, so we always had plenty of meat, even though we didn't have a lot of money.

We ate, or at least tried "snake" (beef heart), "Squid" (beef tongue) and we not only tried, but we loved skunkburger pizza.

Skunkburger pizza was such a hit, even with my friends, that one time we had my friend so thoroughly convinced that it was really skunkburger that her mom called our house to ask my mom where she could buy some!

My mom used a few things that I avoid now days, like Velveeta cheese and pizza crust mix, but since she was a single working mom when the tradition began, I can hardly blame her!  I also have the time & ability to make my own sauces now, too, so I don't even have to buy sauce in a jar.

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Homemade Marinara
Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
Lean Ground Beef, cooked and chopped
Tad bit of Coconut Oil


Directions:
Lightly coat one side of a tortilla & place in a preheated skillet (Med-Low)
Mix together the Marinara and Ground Beef
Add the sauce & meat mixture to the tortilla
Top with mozzarella cheese
Top that with another tortilla (Even better, leave the top tortilla off and bake in the oven like a pizza!
If making the 'quesadilla' style, flip when lightly browned.

YUM!  
As I mentioned in the directions, I think next time I will definitely cook this in the oven with only one tortilla.  I was in too much of a hurry today!


However, it was still delicious, and there was enough to split with my son when he came in from raking leaves!

Do you have any fond childhood food memories or traditions?  Are you carrying them on with your family, or are you just working on making new ones?

And did I mention?  I cooked this on our 1950's Vintage Double oven-6 burner stove!