Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Clean Eating #148: Convenience Foods: Bulk Breakfast Burritos

Bulk Breakfast Burritos

Okay, okay, the truth comes out.  In spite of the fact that I have been really busy this month with movie stuff, I just hate cooking when its hot.  I hate even thinking about cooking, meal planning, any of it.  If only I hated eating... nah.  No such luck.

I would think that logically I would crave fresh fruit, salads and the like.  No such luck.  I eat junk.  I also find that I eat a lot of convenience foods because I'm running around too busy to want to think about cooking.  So not only am I eating less healthy, I'm paying too much for it.

Today was my last straw when I bought a breakfast burrito at Quick Trip... ugh.  I ate a gas station burrito for Heaven's sake.  It is ridiculous.

So I came home and made a dozen breakfast burritos for my hubby and I, and a pan full of kiddable eggs for their own breakfast burritos.  Kids and teenaged boys don't really need to worry about having full out eggs and extra cheese:)

Ingredients:

  • 24 egg whites
  • 12 eggs
  • 1 large onions (diced)
  • 8 oz frozen spinach
  • a little finely shredded cheese of your choice
  • coconut oil
  • seasonings to taste
  • 12 whole wheat tortillas



Directions

  1. Sautee the diced onions and spinach in a little coconut oil until tender
  2. add mixed eggs & seasonings, cook on med-low with a lid, flipping occasionally (try to keep it all in one piece for less mess later
  3. cut your eggs into "bars" and roll up in tortillas sprinkled with a little cheese
  4. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for heating later.


*Kids variations:  I used all eggs, extra cheese, plus added a couple of chopped baked potatoes to stretch out the eggs a little so they would last longer.  Kainan added jalapenos to his (eww!!)

And here is what happens at my house when I go out to a really long lunch with a friend and Paris and Abyni have a lot of time to kill... Its rockstar makeover and modeling time!!  I came home to find nearly 200 pictures on my camera!  My 13 year old is quite talented at the makeup and photos, and my 10 year old loves being in front of the camera:)
Those EYELASHES!!!  
The pouty lips...