Saturday, June 11, 2011

Clean Eating #143: Blackberry Cobbler

Blackberry Cobbler


Guest Post by my awesome fifteen year old son, Jaedin


Who spends his free time picking these:


I found a bunch of blackberry bushes back in the 'forest' by our house.  We rent, but the owners told us we were welcome to whatever berries we wanted.  So I pick them (sometimes with my sisters' help) and sell them as well as fresh cobbler at the local farmer's market for some extra spending money.

I take the leftovers home and everyone eats them if I don't sell them or freeze them fast enough.

I make some with normal sugar, but most of them I make with Xylitol.  A lot of the people who come to the farmer's market want sugar free things because they're diabetic, so I always sell more if I make sugar free.  Since mom pretty much never buys 'real' sugar, its not a problem!

I make the regular ones with the berries on the bottom so I can easily tell the difference at the market.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 2 cups unbleached flour (You can replace half with whole wheat flour)
  • 1 cup Xylitol
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 1/2 cups blackberries

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Pour melted coconut oil equally in the bottom of two pie pans
  3. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, xylitol and milk; batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour mixture on top of melted butter in your pie pans. Do not mix butter and mixture together.
  4. Drop blackberries into batter; if more crust is desired add less blackberries. Bake in preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown.



Serve warm or cold, although if you can talk your mom into it, this tastes AWESOME with vanilla ice cream!