Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Non Clean Eating: Wisdom Teeth Removal Comfort Food: Cheesey Potatoes

Okay, sorry I've been out of the loop AGAIN.  I have about 7 recipes, photos and everything ready to blog about, but I forgot to make time to actually BLOG about them, which means I have no posts.

However, yesterday my boys got their wisdom teeth out and I had to make comfort food for them.  


Milk shakes and protein shakes are all well and good, but they wanted some "real" food.  Since we're at the end of a paycheck period, I had no extra $$ for getting special things, so I had to make do with what we had on hand.  Thankfully I still had several types of veggies prepped and frozen from earlier this month, so I went with loaded twice baked potatoes.
Ingredients:  (told you it wasn't "clean", but there is still no MSG, HFC or artificial stuff, so we're still good:)
10 pounds of potatoes, washed, but not peeled
2-3 medium onions, diced
3-4 heads of garlic, diced (or you can roast it if you prefer)
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 pkg of firm tofu
1 pkg cream cheese
1 16 oz container of light sour cream
2 cups of shredded cheese
2-4 leaves of fresh kale, finely chopped
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped
1-2 cups of milk as needed for desired consistency
Assorted diced veggies from your freezer:)
*I used a little bit of green bell pepper, cabbage, celery, red & orange bell pepper)

Sautee all of the vegetables (except the potatoes:)
Boil the potatoes until tender

Mix your sauteed vegetables in a bowl with the cheeses and your choice of seasonings.
I used 1 Tbsp of celery salt, 2 Tbsp of pepper and 2Tbsp of garlic salt
When the potatoes are done, drain and mix in with the cheese/veggie mixture.
Add milk as needed until you reach the desired consistency.
Bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes.
 Viola!
After baking, you can add some butter and extra garlic salt if you REALLY want to be bad:)

The boys gobbled it up... as did the rest of us.  YUM.  Great, SOFT, filling comfort food.