Thursday, May 5, 2011

Clean Eating #115: Vegetarian Black Bean Rice Fiesta Burgers

Vegetarian Black Bean Rice Fiesta Burgers

Served with mustard, tomatoes, lettuce and a whole grain bun.

I adapted this recipe slightly from this book (because I was missing some ingredients)
Veggie Burgers Every Which Way: Fresh, Flavorful and Healthy Vegan and Vegetarian Burgers - Plus Toppings, Sides, Buns and More
This is adapted from the recipe "Chipotle Black Bean Burgers" on page 91.

(My) Ingredients:
3/4 cup of cooked lentils
1 1/2 cups of cooked black beans
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 cup cooked mixed wild and brown rice
1 cup cooked (frozen) corn
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 dried Japanese red Chile Peppers
3 Tbsp salsa (My salsa recipe is here, I make several gallons at the start of every month and freeze them in small bags in the freezer)
Juice of 1 lime
4 pieces of bread dried and crumbled.
2 egg whites
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese

Mix all the ingredients except the eggs,  corn and onions.
Puree about half of the ingredients.
Add the egg, corn and onions.
Form into patties and cook on a griddle/pan lightly oiled on medium for about 10 minutes on each side.



Verdict:
Paris, Jaedin and I loved these.  They had a MUCH firmer texture than the last ones... and MORE texture with all the different ingredients.  Patrick still didn't care for the texture.  He said the flavor was fantastic, but he can't get past the 'soft' texture.  I ate two of them yesterday... and I was full ALL day.  They are crazy filling!  I call it a win... and I'll keep trying different ingredients and recipes to see if I can change my husband's mind!