Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Clean Eating #114: Cheesey Pasta Fix Up... after a Fail. No, Two Fails.

Cheesey Pasta Fix Up
after a Fail.  
No, Two Fails.
So, I had this recipe that calls for asparagus, lasagna noodles and cottage cheese (amongst other things).

I did buy the ingredients, but then the FAIL started.
I had an epically disastrous week within my family and ended up getting away from it all for about 4 days.
The asparagus shrivelled up, but I actually managed to salvage most of it.
Then I burned it beyond repair because I was making a blog post about Split Pea soup (whilst eating the soup... it was yummy and distracting).
I then got the cottage cheese out.  
And forgot that I had eaten it all.  I can't even blame it on the kids, I ate it (did I mention it was a stressful week?  And that I eat when I'm stressed?)

Anyway, I had already told my hubby about the recipe, and he was really in the mood for pasta... but when we had stopped by the store, they had no whole wheat lasagna noodles.

So fail.  FAIL.  FAIL.


I decided to just go with it and make something... up.

INGREDIENTS:
1 box of whole wheat linguine noodles
1 quart of homemade/jar of pasta sauce.
1/2 package of neufchatel cheese
2 oz of garlic & herb goat cheese
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
1 zucchini, grated
fresh parsley, finely chopped
Directions:
Cook the pasta most of the way, drain and put in the bottom of a casserole dish.
spread the grated zucchini around the middle of the pasta.
Mix together the Neufchatel & goat cheese (you can add some extra garlic pepper here if you want)
Drop small spoonfuls of garlic cheese mixture evenly spaced around the pan.
Top with sauce and add the mozzarella cheese around the outside.
Bake at 350 until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.

Serve with a big veggie salad and enjoy!
This is AWESOME with some fresh baked Ciabatta bread!


What I'd Do Differently Next Time: Well, obviously next time I'd actually make the right recipe and NOT eat the cottage cheese.  Or I'll just buy extra cottage cheese and have my husband hide it from me.  And I won't burn the asparagus.  I'll just sit by the oven and watch it.  But then it won't cook at all, a 'watched pot' and all that.  Anyway, I'm sure I'll post here when I do it right, so you can keep an eye out for an asparagus lasagna dish.