Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Clean Eating #113: Split Pea Lentil Soup

Split Pea Lentil Soup
I have to admit, split pea soup has never been something I ever thought I'd try.  The only versions I had ever seen were totally pureed and it just didn't look appetizing to me.  However, this weekend I was away and someone cooked soup similar to this recipe.  It was AMAZING.  Honestly, I didn't even realize it was pea soup until I started eating it.  I came home and the first thing I did was to get supplies and make a version of my own.


Ingredients:
1 16oz bag of dried split peas
2 cups of dried lentils
2 Medium Onions, diced
4 medium carrots thinly sliced or grated
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
2 cups of vegetable stock
4 cups water
Seasonings:
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp celery salt
1 Tbsp garlic pepper
1 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped

Directions:
Add the split peas & lentils to the water and bring to a boil
Boil on medium low with the lid vented a little for about 15 minutes
Add the vegetable stock, seasonings, cabbage, carrots & onions
When the veggies start to get tender, take out about 2 cups of the soup and puree in the blender.
Serve warm.

Verdict:
YUM!!  Not as yummy as say, my mozzerella tomato sandwich, but definitely a keeper.  It would have been divine on all those raining, miserable days we just had.  Hopefully we're done with that though, so I hope I remember this recipe when next winter rolls around!  I really enjoyed the variety of textures and flavors, it made for a really interesting flavor combination.