Monday, February 28, 2011

Clean Eating #62: "Breaded" Fish Sticks & Fries

Clean Fish Sticks & Fries

Fries:
You can use any kind of potatoes.  We prefer Sweet Potatoes, but I was out, so we used regular potatoes.
  • Slice potatoes lengthwise into "fry" shapes.  I always cut mine short for less baking time.
  • Put in a bowl and drizzle with oil
  • Sprinkle seasonings (today I used garlic pepper and a little paprika & my hubby went nuts over them)
  • Spread one layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 425
Then start on the fish:

Fish Sticks
  • 5 Tilapia Filets
  • 1/3rd Cup Oat Bran
  • 1 TBSP Seasoning of choice (I used Tone's Citrus Grill NO MSG Seasoning)
  • 1 cup of Nabisco Shredded Wheat or Shredded Wheat & Bran
  • 2 eggs

Blend the dry ingredients in a blender until finely ground
Crack eggs in bowl.
Slice/Cut Tilapia down the center, lengthwise

Dip in eggs

coat with ground cereal

place on oiled pan

Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes until fish flakes apart.  Hopefully at this point, your fries are ready as well!

Dinner:

VERDICT:  These were gobbled up FAST, even my youngest who generally doesn't care for fish was eating these without even noticing that she ate nearly half the fish I cooked!  No one even asked for dip/tartar sauce, which is unusual for them.  I'd say these were definitely a hit.  Although I still prefer my fish plain, the crunch and the kid friendly finger food means I will definitely try this again and again!