Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Clean Eating #58: Green Enchilada Sauce

Green Enchilada Sauce
I had several requests from my family for chicken enchiladas... but I couldn't find any 'clean' sauce in the stores.  I was also wanting to avoid canned goods.  I was able to find a recipe and ALMOST avoid canned goods.  However, my hubby went and did the shopping for me one night, and couldn't find the fresh green chiles in our local store.  I decided that this time, I'd just go ahead and use canned.
 
Tomatillos were something I'd never seen or even heard of before.  They reminded me of tomatoes, almost.
This is the recipe I used from Cooks.com.  I will have to adjust it in the future as it was almost too... sweet and definitely not spicy enough for our family.  It still resulted in a lot of happy people, because we love our enchiladas:)

Ingredients & Directions:
  • Chop & Puree:
  • 1 1/2 lb. fresh tomatillos or 2 (13 oz.) cans tomatillos
  • 2 green chiles, charred, peeled and seeded
  • 3 jalapeno chiles, partially seeded, veins removed
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Add the Puree & the following ingredients to a sauce pan & Simmer for 15-20 Minutes:
  • 1/2 c. chicken broth
  • 1/4 c. rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. light oil
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp. lime juice 
  • 1 tsp. xylitol
  • After Simmering, Add 1/4th to 1/2 cup of Cilantro, snipped to the sauce.
At this point, it seemed to be lacking a little bit of flavor (which could have been because of the veggies being out of season) so I added a big handful of chopped spinach to the sauce and to the chicken mixture that we used for enchiladas.

My blender also died in the middle of this, and the one I had to use is not very useful!  It didn't puree very well, but that was okay... it was just a little bit chunkier than we're used to but still yummy!





What I'd do Differently Next Time:  Definitely add some more spicy peppers!  I'm going to have to research my peppers more, or buy just organic or in season.  This had a nice flavor, but was too sweet.  I will use less sugar and probably leave more seeds in next time.  All in all, though, it was a success!
 
Tomorrow:  Chicken Enchiladas!
Friday:  Black Bean & Cheese Vegetarian Enchiladas!