Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Clean Eating #57: Whole Wheat Tortillas

Whole What "Clean" Tortillas
Recipe from what may be my favorite site ever now that I've tried these DELICIOUS tortillas.  These ladies are awesome:)  Passionate Homemaking knows their stuff!  There is so much information on this blog, I could get lost for a long, long time.  Stop by and read up on natural eating, health and a wealth of topics.

Regardless of whether or not you try this recipe, you should really go read this article about the health benefits of soaking your grains.  I learned a lot that I'd always vaguely heard about, but not actually researched.  Go look!



1 cup warm filtered water


1 Tbsp acid medium (I used apple cider vinegar)  *See here for the other recommended options!


1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted


1/4 tsp. baking powder


1 tsp. salt






Directions:



1.Combine flour, water, melted coconut oil or butter and 1 Tbsp of acid medium. Cover and allow to soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours.


2.After soaking, add baking powder and salt to soaked flour mixture, kneading in the flour until the dough is workable but not too stiff.


3.Shape into 8 – 10 balls and let stand 10 more minutes.


4.Roll to form a 10 inch circle or use a tortilla press.


5.Bake on a lightly greased griddle till done (not browned). Toast for about 20-30 sec. per side.


Yield: 8-10 tortillas.




I didn't bother to form into balls, I don't mind square tortillas:)  They would work wonderfully for sandwich wraps and pinwheel sandwiches this way!



My girls, of course immediately made pinwheel sandwiches for a tea party:)  Or rather "Prom"

What I'd Do Differently Nex Time:  I will definitely be making these again and again and again.  I will experiment with using different seasonings, spinach for wraps, marinara versions for wraps.  We LOVE sandwich wraps, and I love the 'less carbs' of a wrap... Thanks so much to PASSIONATE HOMEMAKING for such a wonderful recipe!