Sunday, February 20, 2011

Clean Eating #55: Po Pie (Shepherd's Pie)

Po' Pie
(Shepherd's Pie that we always ate a lot when we were po':)
Ingredients:
  • Mashed potatoes (leave the skins on, mix with skim milk or mushroom soup)
  • Frozen Veggies (we use corn & green beans)
  • Ground Turkey
  • Low fat Shredded Cheese
Directions:
Layer ground beef & veggies
pour mushroom soup over (*I add some extra sauteed mushrooms & onions to the guy dish) 

Top with mashed potatoes 


 Sprinkle with cheese

Bake at 350 until the cheese is bubbly and the middle is hot (about 20 minutes on a lower shelf so the cheese doesn't burn)

What I'd Do Differently Next Time:  Um, nothing.  I've been making this dish progressively healthier for years.  If we ever go vegetarian, I'll still make it and just not use meat, but other than that... I have no other changes in mind other than using different vegetables.