Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Clean Eating #52: Cassie Schwartz "Breakfast of Champions!" Oatmeal Pancakes

Oatmeal Pancakes
My kids ate theirs with dark agave nectar as 'syrup' & yogurt cheese
One of my fellow fitness instructors offered to share her easy, portable recipe with me for the blog.  I know I have a lot of reader's who are busy like me, so I wanted to share!

"The Healthiest Breakfast in the World for busy fitness instructors on the go (not bad for the kids, either!)" ~ Cassie Schwartz.

And to prove that she knows what she's talking about, here is a photo of her!


Oatmeal Pancakes
  • 1/2 C raw oats
  • 1/3 C oat bran
  • 2 TBS ground flax
  • 2 eggs, 2 egg whites
  • 1 C water
  • fistful of cranberry/nut health mix
  • extra raisins
  • cinnamon

Put in bowl, mix, let sit and thicken about 15 minutes.  Use like you would 'normal' pancake batter.  *I puree mine in the blender because the wet ingredients weren't completely soaking up the dry ingredients or something, but even just lightly blended, it was perfect.

Makes 4 pancakes- two for today, two for tomorrow

I made this up because I needed a mobile breakfast that would enable me to eat according to hunger, not a clock!

Thanks Cassie!  I love this recipe!
My Way... I had to alter them a bit, because I only had a little bit of almonds, and no cranberries... not nut health mix at all... but I REALLY wanted to try these.  I doubled the recipe, added a little extra oats to make up for the lack of other ingredients and used what I did have on hand and also made a 'kid' version for my kids.

Unfortunately, they will not be useful for me tomorrow because they kids ate them all.  That's the problem with making things around here, people keep eating all the food.  They were REALLY really good, though!  Next time I will mix up a LOT more and freeze some of the pancakes for me:)

Kid's Oatmeal Pancakes
  • 1 1/2 C raw oats
  • 3/4 C oat bran
  • 4 TBS ground flax
  • 4 eggs, 4 egg whites
  • 2 C water
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen bluberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • cinnamon
I soaked it for twenty minutes, then pureed the 'batter' in my blender.  Pour pancakes on a hot, oiled pan.  Cook until the edges are dry and the middle starts to bubble, then flip over.  
I sprinkled a little Xylitol Confectioner's Substitute for a photo because its pretty:)  The yogurt cheese was a big hit!
What I'd do differently next time?  Nothing, really.  I liked the extra texture and protein of the quinoa and nutritional benefits of the chia seeds.  And they tasted WONDERFULLY divine:)

The kids ate theirs with yogurt cheese and a drizzle of Dark Agave Nectar