Monday, January 17, 2011

Clean Eating #24: Four Banana Muffin Variations & Super Supreme Pizza

Banana Muffin Variations:
I took our OMG Banana Crunch Muffin recipe and not only made some fantastic improvements to the texture (baking powder and soda changes ftw!  Add 1/2 tsp baking powder per cup of flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda per RECIPE)  These were THE cutest looking muffins.  They would make a fantastic thing for a gift basket for someone who eats clean!  You can NOT tell that these are whole grain "healthy muffins"... really!), but I also made these variations (all have the banana base).

Double Chocolate Walnut Muffins...
LOVE.  These made my hubby literally groan outloud they were so good.  And the texture... perfection!  I added 2 o of chopped unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped walnuts and an extra 2 Tbsp of brown sugar Xylitol to sweeten the chocolate.  I topped with coarsely chopped walnuts.  
Blueberry Almond Muffins... AMAZINGLY fantastic blend of flavors using dried blueberries & ground almonds.  Topped with ground almonds.  Again, the baking powder & soda made the texture perfect.

Banana Coconut Muffins...  These were exquisite as well.  Seriously a really fun combination of flavors.  I just added some raw flaked coconut.  I topped the muffins with some and slightly pressed it into the batter before cooking.
Mixed Berries Banana Muffins... These needed some tweaking, mainly because I used frozen berries and then my batter was too wet. I mixed up some more dry ingredients (1 c. whole wheat flour, 1. tsp baking powder & 12 tsp baking soda) and it helped tremendously. I topped these with slivered almonds and some chia seeds for a wonderful crunchy top.  The chia seeds were amazingly crunchy, I loved them.
Time Saver Tip:
Shredding your fresh apples with a cheese grater makes for super quick and easy applesauce for your recipes.  Applesauce replaces some of the oil, saving on calories and fat.

Super Supreme Clean Whole Grain Pizza
Using the pizza crust that Squatchmo made last week, Patrick made this divine pizza:
 We didn't care for this recipe as bread so much, but as pizza, it was heavenly!  I even ate some and I am not a supreme pizza kind of girl.
If I had the time, I'd photoshop out our old decrepit pan, but I decided not to, because I'd rather go cuddle with my hubby and watch a movie:).