Friday, January 14, 2011

Clean Eating #21: 4 or 5 Ingredient Mexican Pasta, Super Easy, Super Fast & Potluck Favorite

Mexican Pasta
*This is courtesy of my hubby as well... he likes his Mexican and Italian food so much that sometimes he doesn't wait for me to put it on the menu.  I love that about him:)

Ingredients:
Salsa (Recipe here for those who want to make your own)
Whole Wheat Pasta (We like medium shells or egg noodles)
1 bag of frozen corn
Chopped, cooked flank steak or Cooked very lean ground beef or turkey

Directions:
Cook pasta until almost done, add frozen corn and bring to a boil again. 
Cook on Medium/Medium High for 2-4 minutes.
Add salsa, cooked ground meat and black beans if you like.
If you're on a maintenance phase, or can handle some cheese, my kids and hubby like to top it with a little bit of finely shredded cheddar cheese.

Variations: 
Prepared Black Beans (we use dried beans, prepare and freeze ahead of time, you can use canned. This is an old post on cooking with dried beans, it is NOT a "clean" recipe, but the preparation process is the same.)

When we make this for a potluck or for a time when guests might see it, we'll put the nearly done meal in a casserole dish and sprinkle cheese across the top and bake it instead of just having a one dish meal. 

What I'll do differently next time:  I think next time I'll use at least twice as much corn, because I love the crunchy texture in there... and some sauteed red peppers... yummy!

Ahhhh!! Everyone ate it ALL GONE!! I thought I'd make myself a dish today with the leftovers and those greedy boys ate it ALL. I will take a photo next time.
That homemade salsa is SPICY!!  A little goes a LONG way!