Monday, January 10, 2011

Clean Eating #17 Tilapia or Chicken with Spicy Orange Cherry Sauce Recipe

Tilapia or Chicken with Spicy Orange Cherry Sauce
*Adapted slightly from this recipe


PREP NOTES:  Next time I'm going to make this, I plan to add some things to my prep day.  I'd dice up all the veggies ahead of time and store them in ziplock bags labelled for different recipes.  Then all I'd have to do is toss them in the skillet on the cooking day.  It would also contain all the mess of chopping veggies to ONE day.
VERDICT:  OMG.  Not even joking.  I sounded like my husband usually does when he finds food beyond extremely delicious.  I can not even begin to find the right words to convey the deliciousness of the rice/sauce combo.  See "what I'd do differently" below for other ideas.


INGREDIENTS (We made enough for 7-8 people with enough rice for another meal, which is good, because we LOVED it:)


•1 bag of mixed long grain and wild rice

•Coconut oil for sauteeing vegetables

•2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced, (put 1/2 aside)

•8 cloves garlic, finely minced, (put half aside with onions)

•6 smallish carrots, shredded with large shredder

•9 green onions, diced, (put half aside with onions)

•2 sprigs of fresh cilantro chopped VERY finely

1 Red Bell Pepper diced

1 bag frozen corn

•Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

3 large navel oranges

•8 tbsp no-sugar-added all-fruit black cherry jam

•1 tsp cinnamon, ground

•1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

8 Tilapia fillets or other whitefish of your choice 8 Chicken breasts!!! I strongly recommend checking my suggestions below.  We liked the chicken MUCH better!

•1 tsp paprika


What I'd Do Differently Next Time:  Chicken.  Definitely chicken breasts instead of fish.  I didn't mind the fish, but it certainly didn't compliment the rice very much.  Today I actually took the leftover sauce and cooked a chicken breast in it.  THAT was awesome!  My kids were fighting over the last of it!  It would be even better grilled... after marinating it in the sauce.  Yes.  That would be perfection.  Its not as "pretty", but it was delicious: