Friday, June 8, 2012

Clean Eating Super Yummy Spicy Goulash

Spicy Goulash

Ingredients:
5-6 carrots (my carrots were pretty puny:) sliced thin
1 16 oz. bag of frozen corn
3 zucchini, sliced thin
5 cans of diced tomatoes
**You can add some white beans or lentils, especially if you're making this for the vegetarian version.
1/2 carton of beef broth
1 capful of Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy seasoning
1 capful of Mrs. Dash "Garlic and Red Pepper" seasoning (I would have generally used actual garlic and red pepper, but I was out)
few shakes of black ground pepper and you should be good!
*You can use simple spices like chili powder instead, if you prefer.

I used my grater for slicing the carrots and zucchini

Mmmmm... spicy!

Dump all of the ingredients together in a pan (again, I pureed some of the diced tomatoes... not even sure why we HAD cans of diced tomatoes in the first place!) and cook on medium heat for at least an hour.  I left mine cooking for probably 3?  It would be fabulous in a crockpot if I had one that didn't burn half of everything I make!

Serve with whole wheat pasta for a "Clean Eating" vegetarian meal...

Or, you can serve with the Spicy Meatballs for the non vegetarian in your life.

This recipe turned out REALLY well.  It was a little watery, because I forgot the beef broth until it was almost done, but it was SO full of flavor, we loved it!  We had a nice big salad and some garlic bread with it (the garlic bread was NOT clean eating, but my kids aren't terribly concerned with being THAT clean!)