Sunday, April 3, 2011

Documentaries: Earthlings. A HARD thing to watch.

Have you ever tried to watch a documentary that was just too harsh to sit through?

One that made you close your eyes? Often?

One that made you actually ANGRY with the corporate greed going on?

One that actually, honestly and completely changed the way you look at food?

I've read the book 'Skinny Bitch' and READ about the horrible practices that animals go through in slaughter houses. I've watched "Food, Inc" and gotten a hint.

Today I watched... well, I AM watching the documentary Earthlings.  I must admit that the beginning seemed kind of overdone a bit.  I found the music distracting... I'm very A.D.D. with documentaries and I just want to get in, get the info and get out.  It didn't take long before I saw the point of the movie.


Make the Connection. EARTHLINGS.com
 
I literally have to pause every few minutes because it is THAT gut wrenching to watch.  And this is from someone who grew up on a farm.  I watched cattle being branded, I helped butcher cows and package the meat for our freezer.  I am not a complete innocent who knows nothing.

Or at least I thought I wasn't.  Of course my grandmother's small farm in rural Iowa had nothing on these huge corporate farms with the slaughter houses and just unbelievably horrific practices.

This is gut wrenching to watch.  I don't think I have ever had to look away so often.

Yes, I believe that I will be continuing with my vegetarian recipes.

Have you seen this documentary?  What did you think?  And please share... what are your favorite vegetarian/vegan recipes?