Monday, April 4, 2011

Clean Eating #88: Homemade Chocolate Pudding with Protein

Chocolate Pudding with a Protein "boost"
This is O.M.G. good.

Not even joking a little bit.

The other day I was at Reasors and they had their half gallons of milk on sale ten for $10.00.  With the "no hormones used" milk being nearly $4.00 a gallon, this was a great deal.  I put ten jugs in my basket (because of course I was only going to get milk, who need a cart for milk??)  I thought "I'm a buff chick, I can carry some measly milk jugs to the front of the store."

Do you know how much 1/2 gallon of milk weighs?  I do.
*nervous tic*

Now multiply that by ten.  Yeah, my buff self carried almost 50 pounds through the entire store.  With one hand.

Do you need a moment to collect yourself from your AWE of my buffness?  Don't.  I was crying by the time I reached the front.  Well, not out loud, but still.  One of those journeys where you start out strong and half way there you're thinking, "Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to just run up and grab a cart... nah... I'm almost half way there by now."

And a few minutes later you're weeping loudly (on the inside, of course) and whining at yourself for being so stupid as to not get a cart.

"WHEN DO YOU EVER GO INTO A STORE AND ONLY GET ONE THING, BYN???  HMMMMMM???  WHEN!!"

So anyway, that was all just to say I made pudding again.  Chocolate to celebrate the fact that three women and two boys appear to be suffering from PMS in this house.  "Hey MOM!  Do we have any CHOCOLATE?" seems to be the rallying cry lately (from me included, but I don't have anyone else to ask).  And mind you, that is NEVER said in a simply curious way... always in a near panicked I-MUST-HAVE-CHOCOLATE-NOW-OR-My-WORLD-Will-SIMPLY-COLLAPSE! kind of way.

Without further ado (in case you're dealing with your own family PMSing at the same time:

Ingredients:

  • 6 Cups of skim/2 % Milk (2% was on sale, I usually use skim, but I'm not arguing with $2.00 a gallon milk!)
  • 6 Scoops of Chocolate Protein Powder
  • 3 TBSP of Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 1/4 cup of Xylitol
  • 6Tbsp of Arrowroot powder
Yummy goodness!

Directions:

  1. Blend dry ingredients and 1/2 of the milk in the blender until smooth
  2. Add to the remaining milk and heat in a heavy pan on the stove until warm, stirring with a whisk every few minutes.
  3. When the mixture starts to get HOT, add some of the hot mixture to your egg yolks.
  4. Keep adding hot to the egg yolks until the eggs have been warmed up to the approximate temperature of the pudding mixture.
  5. Bring to a full boil (at which point it will be pretty thick) and then pour into small glass dishes 
See all of my neat matching dessert dishes?  Well, no one complains around here about dishes not matching.  I'm not sure the kids even notice the dishes except when they're washing them.  Or when they're looking for the biggest one...

I tell you, I wasn't even interested in chocolate pudding today, but I sacrificed so that I could share the results with you.  It was wonderful.  Tasted just like the pudding my grandma used to make!  LOVE warm chocolate pudding, and got my protein fix too!